In building or renovating any structure, one of the titles you will hear often is a general contractor. For homeowners who have had their homes renovated many times before, they might know everything there is to know about the roles and responsibilities of a general contractor.
But, for homeowners who have never had prior experience related to home construction or renovation, the responsibilities of a general contractor might be unclear. It is important to know the exact responsibilities of a general contractor before beginning a project with them. Knowing their responsibility will give you an idea with what to expect from your general contractor.
Simply put, a general contractor is responsible for ensuring that the entire home building or home renovation project runs smoothly. It is their responsibility to make sure that the project becomes a success.
To be a little more detailed, these are some of the important roles of a general contractor:
- Creating and submitting an estimate of all the expenses that would be incurred during the construction/renovation
- Taking care of all the paperwork (securing permits, getting approval, etc.) required before the project begins
- Overseeing the daily operations in a construction or renovation site and making sure that the project runs smoothly and according to plan
- Providing high-quality building materials for the construction/renovation
- Providing all the building equipment necessary for the project, whether leased or bought
- Hiring qualified and skilled subcontractors who will work on various parts of the project
- Liaising with the architect, interior designers, subcontractors, builders, and the homeowner and ensuring that every party is on the same page
- Making sure all the debris and junk is removed at the end of every day
- Creating a timeline for each phase of the construction or renovation AND sticking to that timeline
- Resolving all issues related to the construction or renovation project
Knowing the responsibilities of a general contractor would help you know if the contractor you have hired is doing a good job or not.
If you are meaning to have a major renovation to your home, one of the things you should consider updating is your stairway.
Getting a new set of stairs for your home would definitely give your home an all-new look. Staircases are often the center of attention in a home, and having them renovated will have a big impact on your house’s overall design.
Before we delve into the various types of stairs you can choose for your new home improvement project, it’s important to note that no matter which type of stairs you choose, the most crucial factor to prioritize is its safety. Stairs are among the most critical parts of the home and building it should be well-planned and carefully made.
Types of stairs for your home:
The type of stairs you should choose for your home will greatly depend on one thing – the amount of space you have.
Straight stairs – As you might have already guessed, straight stairs are simple and linear. Compared to other stair types, straight stairs are the easiest and quickest to build. The biggest disadvantage of straight stairs is that they consume a lot of linear space. This is why many homeowners make use of the area under the stairs and use it as storage to maximize space.
L-shaped stairs – Also called quarter turn stairs, that’s what this stair type will require you to do – take a quarter turn. L-shaped stairs are indeed shaped like the letter L and are usually installed next to the corner of a wall. L-shaped stairs are harder to build than straight stairs.
Spiral stairs – Out of all of the types of stairs, spiral stairs take the least space. Spiral stairs are tightly packed and it could be challenging to climb this stair type because of its narrowness. This type of stairs is ideal for homes with very limited space.
When we re-decorate our homes, many of us tend to focus on what can be seen indoors. Getting newly painted interior walls, installing new tiles for the flooring, adding new cabinets in the kitchen, and so on.
Not all of us make outdoor renovation or redecoration a priority. Still, we shouldn’t take our outdoor space for granted, especially that what’s on our garden or lawn is what passersby see first when they walk or drive by our homes.
Don’t worry because redecorating outdoors doesn’t always have to be pricey; there are plenty of simple ways you can improve the appearance of your outdoor space without breaking the bank!
1. Clean your exterior walls. Sometimes, we miss the things that are right in front of our faces – like dirty exterior walls. Do a simple power washing of your walls outside and be amazed by the difference it will make for your home.
2. Repaint your exterior walls. You don’t have to wait for the paint to peel off or fade before you repaint your exterior walls. Just a simple desire to see something new is enough reason for you to have your outdoor walls repainted with a new color.
3. Trim your hedges and shrubs. A garden that’s well cared for is easy to distinguish and is certainly pleasing to the eye. Beautify your garden by simply trimming your hedges and shrubs.
4. Build a patio outside using tiles instead of paving slabs. If you really want to build a patio but don’t have the budget to do so, you can choose the more affordable option – tiles. Tiles can be as beautiful as pavings, but not as expensive.
5. Plant different plants with colorful flowers. Nothing can make a garden more beautiful than colorful, eye-catching flowers and plants. Plant flowers that have different colors if you want your garden to stand out, or choose just a single type of flower and plant a bunch of them on your lawn to keep the uniformity.
Basements. Most homeowners just use it as a storage space – leaving it almost bare, with just the necessary items for it to be checked properly should the need arises.
What so many people fail to realize is that basements give plenty of opportunities to make use of valuable space in their homes. Basements, just like any other space in a house, could be turned into virtually any type of room with proper and careful planning.
One of the best reasons you should consider remodeling your basement is to get to enjoy an additional room in your home. You can renovate your basement to be a home theater, an additional living area, a home office, a home gym, or an extra bedroom.
Also, when you remodel your basement, you increase the value of your home. Finishing your basement can be as valuable as remodeling your kitchen or bathroom when it comes to reselling your property.
If you leave your basement as it is – an empty and unused storage space – chances are, you have not had the chance to look at it properly. When you begin considering turning your basement into a more useful room, you need to inspect your basement more closely. You get to see any cracks, leaks, or any vulnerability in the structure and you’ll have the chance to fix these problems sooner.
In relation to having any basement leaks and issues fixed promptly, getting a renovation for your basement will also give you an opportunity to improve the overall condition of your entire home. For example, when you fix the leaks in your basement, you can make things even better by waterproofing your basement.
When you add insulation to your basement during renovation, you can also help decrease the energy consumption of your home – resulting in a drop in your utility bill.